Remove this ad

Luddite

Armchair General

Lead

Mar 20 13 11:13 PM

Tags : :

Hi all,

I've put together some unofficial conversion rules for the Wars of the Roses period using the Dux Bellorum rules.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Wingate

Emperor of the table

#2 [url]

Apr 26 13 8:52 AM

Thanks Luddite. I've downloaded your conversions for a longer and deeper look.

I like some of the ideas for tactics and starategies but not sure about the ammo (it would encourage a quick lead into melees though) and stakes at all battles (they seemed to have only been used in set postions like Ludlow, Coventry and 2nd St Albans, can't remember off the top of my head if Blore heath was just a quick ditch or stakes???). The other "ongonig debate is billmen and MAA, I must admit to changing to the view that the billmen (at least retinue) were lumped in with the MAA. Pity as I've got loads of lovely billmen figures!!

Quote    Reply   

Luddite

Armchair General

#3 [url]

Apr 26 13 2:31 PM

Wingate wrote:
Thanks Luddite. I've downloaded your conversions for a longer and deeper look.

I like some of the ideas for tactics and starategies but not sure about the ammo (it would encourage a quick lead into melees though) and stakes at all battles (they seemed to have only been used in set postions like Ludlow, Coventry and 2nd St Albans, can't remember off the top of my head if Blore heath was just a quick ditch or stakes???). The other "ongonig debate is billmen and MAA, I must admit to changing to the view that the billmen (at least retinue) were lumped in with the MAA. Pity as I've got loads of lovely billmen figures!!

Limiting the ammo is in my opinion essential to get the friction of the period engagements.  Almost all the battles were an archery duel until the arrows ran out followed by a heavy infantry engagement to resolution.

Stakes, i've included as a an option.  Frankly given the way the games play out they're a poor choice to take as they'll tie your archers down too much.

Differentiations

Well...for the period, the distinctions we tend to make as wargamers were unlikely to be recognised by the troops at the time.  the classic references to 'spears' for example.

Personally i prefer the (perhaops artifcial) distinctions we make between MAA and differing grades of billmen.  For example i make retinue billmen better than militia billmen.  In reality they were likely the same in performance.  But where's the fun in that!  Ultimately it allows you to build a force of lots of cheap poorer quality troops or fewer better quality troops.

Differentiating th MAA is also useful for the 'spare the commoners / kill the nobles' period flavour rules.

I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out the Currours too.  There just doesn't seem to be a concensus on what these troops were, so i included the option to make them skirmishers or battle cavalry.

So far though we're liking the way the rules play out with things as they are.  smiley: happy

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help