Remove this ad

jony663

Five Star General

#21 [url]

Apr 7 10 10:32 PM

So we are say not only no Germans. but no Italian CVT?

Captain Hastings: [referring to marriage] You ever thought about it?
Hercule Poirot: In my experience, I know of five cases of wives being murdered by their devoted husbands.
Captain Hastings: Oh?
Hercule Poirot: And twenty-two husbands being murdered by their devoted wives. So thank you, no. Marriage, it is not for me.

http://greenfieldsbeyond.wordpress.com/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Apr 7 10 10:40 PM

QUOTE (jony663 @ April 07, 2010 10:32 pm)
So we are say not only no Germans. but no Italian CVT?

Getting complicated now isn't it

Would Italy really have that much of a vested interest?
Yes they intervened in Spain, but had an ulterior motive for that.
Long way to go to get involved I feel.

Quote    Reply   

Rick

Advanced Member

#23 [url]

Apr 7 10 11:03 PM

Hmm, given that Mosely based his organisation on the Italian fascisti model, I think there would be strong political ties to that regime. Maybe even a little lend-lease equipment. Don't forget that Ethiopia was costing Italy a fortune at this time. Probably not a lot of troops available, though selling equipment to England might raise a bit of revenue.. Militarily, their attention is in Ethiopia, not Europe. Germany is a much better candidate for foreign volunteers.

Imagine the scene, German volunteers coming to England to fight and being issued with Italian equipment!

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Apr 7 10 11:06 PM

Well if we are logical, what reason would there be for Mussolini to send men to Britain? Spain fits in with his aim of creating an Italian dominated Mediterranean, but Britain? Italy was pretty cash strapped after Abyssinia and with its involvement in Spain, so while I can see it selling tanks and planes (as it did to such exotic places as Venezuela), I don't see a CTV making its way over here.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Apr 8 10 7:07 AM

QUOTE (Jim Hale @ April 07, 2010 11:06 pm)
I don't see a CTV making its way over here.

How about one from the Abyssinians (previous spear marks hurriedly painted over)??

Drusus: you are a clever man!!

Cheers

Romain

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Hastings

MAD AS A HATTER

#26 [url]

Apr 8 10 8:23 AM

If Romanians travelled to Spain it is perfectly possible Italians might turn up in Britain- lets face it there was a reasonably sized Italian community here already in the 30's.
What I guess is more in doubt is how 'official' such a force would be. Musso has more on his plate than Britain- but there again in our universe Britain is the centre of everything! so if you want an Italian Brigade no one can stop you- its your war after all. But more informal links leading to small bands of adventurers turning up are equally likely I would have thought and very much in keeping with the spirit of VBCW

In 1938 history terms Italian units have been happily fighting away in Mort's Somerset and Devon pretty much since kick off. My French Fascists that took extremely heavy casualties during the recent first battle of Berwick have now been reinforced by a few Italian volunteers (those really nice Black Tree Italians that finally arrived, but not enough to make a whole unit and im not going through that order process again )Im not ashamed to say I just like the figures and would like to include them

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Apr 8 10 9:34 AM

QUOTE (Drusus G. Rat Esq. @ April 08, 2010 07:07 am)
QUOTE (Jim Hale @ April 07, 2010 11:06 pm)
I don't see a CTV making its way over here.

How about one from the Abyssinians (previous spear marks hurriedly painted over)??

That's a CV... CTV = Corpo Truppe Volontarie, the Italian Expeditionary Force.

Italian planes, tanks and weapons on the other hand were readily available. CR32s were sold to Venezuela, Paraguay and Chile and CV33/L3s were sold to Brazil and Salvador. They were sold closer to home too, but I wanted to get across the idea that distance is no object to trade in the 1930s. Italian small arms and artillery can be found all over the place.

Given that the Italians had a heap of Adrian helmets to get rid of too, an 'Italian looking' force could turn up anywhere. The 'new' helmet is a bit more problematic, but is similar enough in shape at 28mm to belong to another country.

When I talk about 'Germans' and 'Italians' etc, I mean official troops sent as a military unit in their nation's uniform and kit. Foreign 'volunteers' are pretty much indistinguishable from anyone else and wear what they're given by their host.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Apr 8 10 9:38 AM

QUOTE (Jim Hale @ April 08, 2010 09:34 am)

Whoops!

Well maybe a few could have been ransomed by the Abyssinians and the spear marks patched over then!

Drusus: you are a clever man!!

Cheers

Romain

Quote    Reply   

jony663

Five Star General

#29 [url]

Apr 9 10 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Drusus G. Rat Esq. @ April 08, 2010 09:38 am)
QUOTE (Jim Hale @ April 08, 2010 09:34 am)

Whoops!

Well maybe a few could have been ransomed by the Abyssinians and the spear marks patched over then!

I was thinking of spears stuck in the vision slots. For sales a slightly used CV33

Captain Hastings: [referring to marriage] You ever thought about it?
Hercule Poirot: In my experience, I know of five cases of wives being murdered by their devoted husbands.
Captain Hastings: Oh?
Hercule Poirot: And twenty-two husbands being murdered by their devoted wives. So thank you, no. Marriage, it is not for me.

http://greenfieldsbeyond.wordpress.com/

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jun 3 13 12:14 PM

A random thought for an Italian equipped & uniformed BUF resistance guerrilla unit north of the Border - 'Brodies Gels'; after all, "Mussolini is a great man."

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help